Polk Audio LSiM707 (Mahogany)
MSRP  1999.99
Description: Mahogany Tower Speaker frequency response 38-30,000 Hz,handles up to 300 watts,four-way design including a 1

Submitted by CR Westerman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have bought and built speakers for nearly 50 years. I have owned the following speaker brands: JBL, DCM, Infinity, Polk, Magnavox, Cerwin Vega, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sunfire, Dayton, Audax, Vifia, Lafayette and Altec Lancing. I have also listened extensively to Klipsch, Definitive Technology, Advent, Bang and Olfsen and Bose. Most brands serveral models. Building speakers gives you a good idea of what type of speaker will please your ears the most. I've built many but I've never gotten my designs to sound as good as the Polk LSiM707's I own now. I will add that I haven't bought any speakers that were as good either, even tho I've spent more. I was pleasently surprised by several design elements of the Polks: Never would I have believed the oval woofers could be so powerful. The ring tweeter, a design originating back in the early days of hifi now brought back to the fore-front of audio design. Ably combining the sealed cabinet design of the upper drivers with the ported design of the woofers. Evolving the implementation of the 'plastic' drivers and eschewing the exaggerated benefits of metal/ceramic materials. Building the complex box in China to an exacting degree of fit and finish. If a person shopping for a set of speakers were to let their decision be guided by a belief in eliteism, be it the use of so called 'advanced' materials, 'exotic' designs and/or god forbid 'price paid,' they might read about the Polk LSiM707 and take it off their shopping list. What a terrible mistake that would be. Who would have thought combining all of the above would result in a finished product of such desireability. Kudos to those people at Polk that could conceive such a speaker. Do I really need to tell you about all the characteristics that make this such a fine speaker or have I elaborated enough already? No? Ok then... I was worried about the lower limit desiginated by Polk as 38Hz. I wondered why Polk wouldn't have built them to reach the lowest octave of the bass region, after all they are a 'flagship' design. Set your mind at ease, Polk knows what they are doing. The speakers -3db point may well be 38Hz but room coupling extends that figure far lower with all the authority you could desire. For music no subwoofer necessary....at all. Explosions and other effects in movies normally handled by your subwoofer(s) should continue doing their duty. Not because the Polks can't handle it but what are you gonna do, sell em? Not exactly measurable but definitely perceptible is the wide soundstage. My son-in-law's initial audition went like this; He moved from a relaxed position on the couch to perched on the edge as the music played. We were listening to a short intro by Joe Bonamassa. Before the second track began to play, he asked me if I had upgraded my surround system electronics. (I personally don't care for any such effects while listening to music, prefering instead to listen in stereo.) I answered telling him we are listening to a favorite vintage Sansui amplifier of mine that was built before anything was known about surround. He looked incredulous at me and said, "but I could hear sound coming from all the way across the room." I said, "Yep, thats a property of the recording being reproduced by speakers that don't throw that information away." Needless to say he insisted on hearing more. I obliged. In my rush to listen to my favorite music through them, I have discovered several distinctive traits the speakers display. The percussive part of the key strokes on a piano are what makes it sound so real and live. If you have heard someone say this and you haven't actually experienced it, you have a real treat coming. Their ability to portray the suddeness of percussion instruments has me enthralled. One of my favorites is the Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California. The 'lead in' gets to me every time. My taste in music is wider than most folks, given that, it is no wonder I have a copy of The Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth. The vocalizations are exqusite but listen for the Maracas about 4 min into Yulunga. They absolutely come alive. Throw on Itzhak Perlman and feel the emotion drawn out of you by the sweetest most melancholy, haunting, and extremely evocative sound you will ever hear. Yes, I'm talking about the very best reproduction of a violin imaginable. Tonally, I am so satisfied. Pump up the volume and watch the power meters. At ear bleed levels the meters must be lying, they are only reading a few watts, ten or so. The speakers sound as tho they could care less, crank it on up if you please. Now my better half is at the door saying something I can't make out. I am trying to read her lips. I reach for the volume as she is closing the door and I hear her last couple of words..."the neighbors!" This model is a four way system. Operating each of its drivers in the octave band(s) where they do their very best and it pays off so very well. The largest of the upper drivers (6.5") delivers the chestiness that a deep male vocal has, endowing it with the realism that gets so over done with a larger driver or left out with a smaller one. Talk about the Goldilocks syndrome...it's juuuust right. My favorite of all, the small mid replicating what I listen to the most.. the female voice. Put Sarah Mclachlan on and sit back for the ride. The Polks will blow your hair back as they focus your attention on her uniquely excellent voice. Do it again with Dolores O'Riordan as she sings Ave Maria with Pavarotti. Close your eyes, you are in attendance, at the performance, in the audience....wow! Feels real. The Polks get so much right they don't have any problem repeating what they are capable of each time you call on them to perform. Do they have any faults? They might but I haven't found them as yet. Are they the last word in audio? Probably not, but they may as well be, because I'm not likely to ever replace them. I'm lucky, I can accommodate both a dedicated listening room and a home theater in seprate rooms, allowing an optimization that is beyond the compromise of both systems being in the same room. I highly recommend this Polk Model LSiM707.

The Polks reside in a rectangular room 20' x 12' x 8' with wall to wall carpet a lightly textured ceiling and sheetrock walls. Furnture is a single over stuffed couch with seating for three people. Speakers sit in front of the short wall with a window centered in it covered with 1" venetian blinds. They are 3' from side walls, 4' from front wall, 6' apart and 9' from listening position. I originally had them 5' from the front wall, still trying them in different locations to see what sounds best. May try putting them along the long wall next. Source components are Aquos Bluray Player, Sansui FM Tuner, Toshiba laptop playing HD files through a Gen1 Dragonfly and a restored vintage Teac X1000-R reel to reel. Amplification is by a restored vintage Sansui capable of producing 125watts/ch @8Ohms.