Magnepan MMG
Description: <ul> <li>Description 2-Way / Quasi-Ribbon Planar-Magnetic</li> <li>Freq. Resp. 50 - 24 kHz ±3 dB</li> <li>Sensitivity 86dB / 500Hz / 2.83v</li> <li>Impedance 4 Ohm</li> <li>Dimensions 14.5 x 48 x 1.25</li> </ul>

Submitted by KT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
Simply put, if you don't give these speakers 5/5 you need your hearing checked. The bass is a bit muddy and the speakers don't have super loud output, but for $599 brand new nothing is even close to them. Specially if you add in a nice little subwoofer to them.

Keep in mind how close these are to the wall will have a huge impact on brightness, and reflection sound. Just try and get them out around 2-3ft from the wall, and you can't go wrong.

Submitted by jlg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2015

Bottom Line:
Loudspeakers can only be evaluated by reference to OTHER loudspeakers, in my experience. I own ProAc Response 1SC, Neumann K310, and Mackie HR 824. The mid high frequencies (I mean female voice, guitar, violin, clarinet, trumpet, etc.) are as clean as any of the above, save perhaps the Neumann 310s, which are 5k a pair. There isn't much usable low end, obviously. And the low mids (tenor and bass male voice, cello, bass, etc.) are weak. But a properly mated, very, very clean subwoofer might solve that problem. For voice alone, these are superb. So you might get the Mackie HR 824 experience out of these (the flat but powerful bass) with the right sub.

Submitted by howard grossman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2015

Bottom Line:
Just listened to the MMG's at Lyric sound in NYC. Based on all the great reviews MAJOR disappointment. Harsh un musical sound with a very artificial aggressive mid- range . Yes they are $600 speakers but from the reviews they sounded like they should be able to walk on water. From Opera to Rock they sound harsh, artificial and fatiguing. BUT, BUT wait I asked to hear the next model up the .7's THOSE ARE THE ONES YOU WANT. Save up some more money and buy those and you will have speakers that actually sound like the all the reviews for the MMG's. I'm buying a pair of the.7's next week. Just for fun A/B'd them against a pair of $2000 B&W CM 6's no comparison the .7's with well produced material makes sound you can fall into.

Submitted by MSL Lochbuie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
Quite simple. For $599, the audio steal of a lifetime. In recordings that I knew so well, I now
have listened and heard intricacies and nuances I never need existed in them. Amazing soundstage, accuracy, and clarity. Don't think should I? Do it. Your reward will be a listening
experience that you have yearned for. Simply amazing.

Submitted by MagneMan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2015

Bottom Line:
Why does Magnepan make these speakers? I would think that these speakers would do to their big ones what the PC did to IBM's mainframe business. I also have a pair of 3.6s, which cost 8 times as much, and let me tell you: the 3.6s are (were) noticeably better, but not 8x better! These little ones are amazing.

I moved to a small apartment away from my family temporarily and so bought the smallest, cheapest Magnepans available just for while I'm living here. Nonetheless, I'm blown away. Often I put on some music and sit down to read something and find that I can't read it, I'm too distracted by the overwhelming beauty of the music emanating from the far end of my room. Not from my speakers, mind you, but from the whole other end of the room, because that's where it seems the music comes from. They are incredible.

I don't know which I should regret: paying all that money for the big 3.6s for my home, or not paying a bit more and getting the .7s for this apartment. I guess that's why Magnepan makes these...they're not so expensive that you think an upgrade will involve wasting a lot of money, yet they are good enough that you think my gosh, if the next ones up are even better, they must be really amazing! So after a year or two with these, you upgrade.

I admit I am not the best person to do a comparison study, because I've only had Magnepans since 1985, I think. So I can't say how they compare to any other kind of speaker.

I live outside the US and the people at Magnepan were very helpful in getting these sent to me. I had no problems at all. I found it cheaper to have them ship it to the transshipment company I use, myus.com, and have them ship it to me, than to have Magnepan ship it to me directly.

My whole system is not all that expensive by audiophile standards. I have a Cambridge Stream Magic 6 V2 and a 30-year-old Quad 606 amplifier (which still sells for $500 on ebay!) My speaker wires too are ones that I bought 25 years ago, MIT Music Hose. So the whole rig would cost maybe $2,500 for someone living in the US. For that you could get something that would bring beauty to your every day.